ANSWERS TO STUDENTS’ QUESTION ON SANDWICH DEGREE IN NIGERIA UNIVERSITIES
Are you hearing about Sandwich Degree for the first time? Do you want to know all about this means of acquiring a degree? Do you want to know if it is the right choice for you? You’re on the right page to get a clear understanding of:
- What Sandwich is,
- universities that are offering or running the programmes
- How to obtain the sandwich programme form
- Whether to obtain the form for a course and not
Sandwich Degree Programme Admission
By SANDWICH, it means school programmes designed to accommodate usually candidates who are working-class but aim to further their education. These applicants are usually graduates from a course but wish to continue learning and acquire a degree.
A sandwich is usually meant for teachers. These teachers are probably already teaching in schools and when they have holidays, they dedicate that period to their studies at sandwich centres.
However, SSCE holders who are not working yet (or already working) can still apply depending on the terms a school makes available to them. For example, such SSCE holders may be admitted for a 5 years course which an ND or NCE holders take for only 4 years.
List of Universities Offering Sandwich Programme
Please note that I will be updating this list as I’m sure more universities will join the league. At present, these are the universities running sandwich courses (that I’m aware of).
- Lagos State University (Ilesa Campus)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
- Lagos State University (LASU) Main Campus
- Lagos State University (LASU) Federal College of Education Oyo Special
- Lagos State University (LASU) College of Education Ilesa, Osun State
- Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo (ADEYEMI)
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko Ondo State
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
- Niger Delta University (NDU)
More will be added shortly. You can bookmark, or subscribe to revisit this page for updates.
How to Obtain Sandwich Admission Degree forms
- Generally, these universities dedicate specific portals for their sandwich programmes. So, you will need to visit the school website and locate their sandwich adverts or link to their sandwich page.
- Then, you can read all application instructions and proceed with your application.
- Click on the schools above to see details of the sandwich application of each.
- You can also follow each of the links above to see if forms are open for this year.
Why Should You Consider Sandwich Programme
You want to know if the sandwich courses are right for you. Good!
I’d earlier said that the programme is perfect for teachers. In fact, some schools only run sandwich programmes for education courses. You know when you study education in school and earn your degree in education; you end up being a teacher. Right?
If you don’t know that, that is it!
Of course, you can have sandwich programmes for other disciplines than education. But sandwich education is more popular for the teaching profession.
To know if your proposed university is running other courses you’re interested in, check the adverts for their programmes.
A related issue is, you may need to have possessed Bsc, HND, ND, or NCE before you can apply for a sandwich course in some universities. Others, however, accept applicants with only SSCE as well.
In that case, those with higher qualifications like HND, ND, or NCE may run their courses for years less than applicants with SSCE only.
Note that, sandwich programmes can be run for years between 3 to 5. It all depends on the earlier qualifications of the applicants or the school’s admission policies.
How is the Sandwich Programme Conducted?
Usually, schools conduct the courses on a part-time basis. Candidates are accommodated for continuing studies at a certain period of the years.
For example, those institutions that run sandwich for education courses run the course during school breaks (long vacations). Hence, the attendees are welcome to campus or their study centres by the first term, second term and third term breaks.
Does Sandwich Programme Require JAMB UTME?
In fact, a sandwich is one of the ways to gain admission without JAMB. You don’t need UTME result to apply and gain admission.
Candidates are only considered for admissions based on their O’level subjects and grades and A’level grades (in the case of BSC, HND, ND or NCE graduates).
People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.
Best Related Posts
- PART-TIME Degree, HND, ND or NCE Programmes: Short-cut to Gain Admission Without JAMB
- 9 Things You Must Know About Pre-degree Admission to University
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA) Sandwich Admission form Details. Steps to Obtaining the form
- University of Ibadan (UI) Distance Learning Admission Form is Out (2019/2020):. Apply Here