I saw his level of dissatisfaction with his ND course when a student called me. He wanted to proceed to HND but wished he could change his course during the HND application. With my answer, he seemed to have more questions to ask.
I prepared this post to give him my comprehensive answer. He had read and appreciated it. And I think pushing it out to all, will help people who find themselves in the same mess.
Why You May Want to Change Course Going to HND 1
Like making attempt to changing course while going to the 200 level at universities, a few holders of the National Diploma who want to consider the Higher National Diploma (HND) instead of the Direct Entry form, may want to change their courses at this stage too.
The question is: Is it possible to change courses at this level? Can you cross from Electrical Electrical Engineering (OND) to Mechanical Engineering (HND)? Can a holder of OND Accountancy change to Marketing during the HND application?
You may choose to do this on certain conditions:
- You might have been limited by the ND course. A few candidates did badly in Accountancy because of the calculations that mostly dominate Accounting courses. Such candidates may want to consider Business Administration Management which is more theoretical than calculations.
- You might have perceived a better prospect in the new course. Some candidates might have learnt that courses such as Accounting, Business Administration are already saturated and overcrowded and want to consider less-competitive courses with better prospects as well.
Can You Change your ND course When Going For HND?
I wish I can answer this question with YES or NO. However, it’s a more complex question than it looks.
It’s nearly impossible to change your OND/ND course while applying for HND admission. A few schools may allow this on certain unusual conditions. However, very many polytechnics strictly require prospective HND applicants to apply for the courses they studied while in ND.
Below are case studies of polytechnics accepting, or otherwise, change of course during HND application.
1. Osun State Polytechnic Iree Doesn’t Accept Change of Course
According to the polytechnic, candidates seeking admissions into the institution must possess National Diploma (ND) in the same discipline with a minimum of a Lower Credit obtained from an NBTE Accredited Programmes /Institutions plus a minimum of ONE Year Post National Diploma Industrial Attachment/Work Experience in the field of specialization. However, in exceptional cases, candidates with ordinary Pass Grade in the National Diploma with a minimum of 2 TWO Years Post- National Diploma Industrial Attachment/Work Experience may be considered.
2. Federal Polytechnic Ede Doesn’t Accept Change of Course
Similarly, the polytechnic requires applicants for HND must possess National Diploma (ND) In the same discipline with a minimum of a Lower Credit obtained from NBTE Accredited Programmes/Institutions plus a minimum of ONE YEAR POST-National Diploma Industrial Attachment/Work Experience in the field of specialization. However, in exceptional cases, candidates with ordinary Pass Grade in the National Diploma with a minimum of two (2) Years Post National Diploma Industrial Attachment/Work Experience may be considered.
3. Kwara State Polytechnic May Not Accept Change of Course
According to the polytechnic, applications must possess National Diploma (ND) with a minimum of Lower Credit in the relevant fields and five relevant O/L credit passes at WASC, GCE, NECO, and NABTEB at not more than two sittings. These credit passes must include English Language and Mathematics.
Kindly take note of the phrase “in the relevant fields”. This does mean strictly the same course as the National Diploma. Candidates can’t go for related courses to their OND course.
In fact, the polytechnic emphasized these:
- Candidates will not be admitted into HND programmes different from those they had in their ND programmes.
- Holders of ND Mass Communication will not be admitted into HND Public Administration.
- Holders of ND Computer Engineering are not admissible into HND Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology and HND Computer Science Programmes.
4. Federal Polytechnic Offa May Not Consider Cnahe of Course at HND
The federal polytechnic requires candidates to Possess National Diploma (ND), National Innovative Diploma (NID) in their chosen programmes at not a grade below LOWER CREDIT Classification from a recognized/accredited Polytechnic, Monotechnic or Innovation Enterprise Institutions.
5. Federal Polytechnic Bida May Accept Change of Course
The polytechnic requires applicants to possess a National Diploma (ND) in the relevant programmes with a minimum of lower credit and a Pass in the field of interest.
Although it’s openly disclosed that you can go for other courses, the phrases in the relevant programme” may include related courses.
6. Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti May Not Accept Change of course
The polytechnic is specific as the who can apply. Candidates must possess National Diploma (ND) with at least a Lower Credit in the Course/Programme of choice and five (5) relevant credits including English Language and Mathematics at the SSCE/NECO/GCE or NABTEB O’Level in not more than two (2) sittings.
7. The Oke Ogun Polytechnic May Accept Change of Course
The polytechnic is silent about whether applicants can change their ND courses during the HND applications. According to the HND form advert, “Applicants must be holders of National Diploma (ND) from accredited polytechnics and colleges with grades not below lower credits”.
8. Moshood Abiola Polytechnic May Accept Change of Course
The polytechnic requires candidates to possess at least a Pass at not below Lower Credit in the relevant National Diploma Programmes from accredited programmes/institutions and have completed a minimum of one calendar year post-National Diploma relevant work experience (evidence of industrial work experience is required).
As a matter of fact, what is clear is that you’d better gone for the same course you did while in ND if you must obtain the next HND form. Be it at your own school or elsewhere, the same course admission is more certain.
However, some polytechnics may not be open about their admission policies – giving considerations for a change of course at the HND level.
I’d personally saw a candidate of the Oke Ogun Polytechnic who studied Transportation Management being offered another course at the Ogun State Polytechnic (MAPOLY) and the Federal Polytechnic Ede.
If you must change course, you should visit the school admission office to enquire if you could be admitted into a different course. And If yes, which ones? You will be surprised that a few polytechnics, though may not be open in their HND adverts, will still consider you notwithstanding. Though may chose the right course for you based on your O’level subjects, grades, and OND course.
Best Related Posts
- Can I Process Two HND admission together with Direct Entry?
- 16 University Education Courses You Can Do with HND
- Is Second Class Lower/Lower Credit a Good Result?
- Where Fingerprint is Needed for JAMB, PUTME, NYSC, WAEC, NECO, NABTEB, etc.
- Will I Serve at NYSC If I Do Affiliate Programme?