Inter University Transfer Admission: Requirements/Process

You’re on the right page if you want to know about what inter-university transfer admission is all about, which universities you can consider for the transfer admssion, the requirements, form prices by some universities, and so on.

I’ve got a series of queries. My blog readers want to know about:

  • UNIBEN inter-university transfer
  • OAU inter-university transfer
  • UNIZIK inter-university transfer
  • UI inter-university transfer
  • UNIABUJA inter-university transfer
  • UNICAL inter-university transfer
  • LASU inter-university transfer
  • FUTA inter-university transfer form

Here is my comprehensive post on this topic so far. It’ll be wise if you read it word for word before taking actions thereon.

What is the Inter-University Transfer Admission?

Inter-university transfer admission is not that common but universities offer that as well. So, what’s this about? This is the admission exercise that allows an undergraduate student of a university to move from his or her present university to another. For example, a 200 level student of Ladoke Akintola University may seek transfer admission to the University of Ilorin.

Of course, what most students are used to are the admissions through UTME, Direct Entry, Pre-degree, IJMB, JUPEB, Cambridge and NABTEB Advanced Levels, Part-time and Sandwich programmes, Distance learning (e.g NOUN), and most recently top-up degree programmes. We also have what is called inter-university transfer admission.

Why Considering Inter-University Transfer Admission

A student may want to consider such admission if:

  • his or her parents relocate and they deem it fit to move together 
  • he/she wishes to move to a university with a better academic standard
  • there are consistent strike actions in his or her present university
  • there are security challenges (or related issues) in the present school or its environs 

    It’s important to note that this admission arrangement is between the two involved universities. Hence, JAMB is not directly concerned with admission by transfer.

    JAMB portal now includes the registration link for students to register before/after being transferred.

    Option to register as a transfer student with JAMB
    READ MORE  11+ Universities Accepting NCE to 300 Level (DE Admissions)

    Transfer from Polytechnics/College of Education to Universities

    Another question that may come to mind is if you can do transfer from one polytechnic to the other or if it is possible to do the transfer from a polytechnic/college of education to a university.

    As at the time of this post in Nigeria, you can’t be transferred from a polytechnic or colleges of education to a university. Likewise, you can’t do transfer within polytechnics or college of education. The option opened to ND or NCE holders is admission through JAMB Direct Entry.

    How to Apply for Transfer from One University to the Other

    Basically, only four things are involved:

    1. Consulting with the recipient university admission office/officer
    2. Consulting with the present university admission officer
    3. Meeting the entry requirements of the recipient university/course
    4. Obtaining the transfer form

    Let’s look at each of the points above one after the other.

    1. Consulting with the Target University Admission Office/Officer

    You must first meet the entry requirements of the university you’re seeking transfer to. The university may have some internal arrangements you can’t read anywhere on the web. Doing some findings online may help but that won’t replace your physical presence and inquiries so you can hear from the horse’s mouth.

    In case you can’t make it to the campus for inquiries, you can seek the help of a proxy – someone who can do the findings to your satisfaction.

    Another medium is to go straight to the university’s dedicated page for transfer admission. The links below take you to the extracted information about the named universities.

    1. Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria
    2. University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN)
    3. University of Ilorin (UNILORIN), Kwara State
    4. Osun State University (UNIOSUN) Osogbo
    5. Crescent University, Abeokuta
    6. Generally, All Private Universities

    What is the Required GPA for Inter-University Transfer?

    As a matter of fact, each university you’re proposing has a different policy regards the GPA that will be accepted. If you follow any of the links above, those universities state clearly and openly the GPA an applicant must have before standing a chance of being admitted.

    READ MORE  Getting Set to Process Admissions in Nigeria Institutions

    Where a school is not opened on this, or not available on the portal, ensure you visit the admission office, as earlier advised. They will be pleased to tell you anything you wish to know.

    Do I Need to Request Transcript for Transfer Admission?

    The answer is YES.

    Generally, all universities require their prospective applicants for transfer admission to request the former school’s transcripts.

    It’s based on this that the university will decide to offer you admission or otherwise.

    2. Consulting with the Present School Admission Office/Officer

    It’s also important to meet with your school too on your decision to go for transfer to another school.

    Some faculties have strict policies as to release their best products to another course not to mention of another school entirely.

    Meet with the admission officer, dean of faculty, or registrar – whoever is in charge.

    They will as well let you know what you have to do before requesting such.

    You may be thinking, does it matter if they want you to go or not? Don’t forget you’ll need them to process and send your transcript.

    3. Meeting the Requirements of the Target School/Course

    Transfer Admission Requirements:

    • Generally, all universities demand the same O’level and JAMB requirements for Transfer admission. The only thing that may vary is the GPA.
    • By O’level results, applicants must meet the 5 required subjects needed for his or her course. You shouldn’t have problems with this since you’re already admitted based on this in the present university.
    • By JAMB requirements, it means the schools require you to have written UTME or use DE for your admission into the present university. Such a JAMB registration number should be available on request. Subjects written for UTME must align with the course you’re proposing in the new university too.
    READ MORE  School Admitted But Not Yet by JAMB: Can I Pay Acceptance Fee?

    Having said that, it is worth noting that you can only process transfer admission for the same course you had in the present school. Hardly do we have universities accepting transfer students into other courses than they offered in their previous universities.

    4. Obtaining the Transfer Form Online

    Contrary to the belief that a body is in charge of inter-university transfer admission like JAMB is for UTME/DE, ABU Zaria for IJMB, UNILAG for JUPEB etc., sales of the admission form and processing in the case of transfer is handled by the recipient university.

    Some of these universities require applicants to pay for, download, fill, scan and send to a specific email e.g University of Ilorin (UNILORIN), Federal University Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE). Some schools such as Osun State University (UNISOUN), Ladoke Akintola University (LAUTECH) requires applicants to fill an online form and make a payment on the university portal.


    If you digest this piece all through, you will notice that I emphasized visiting the recipient school for inquiries before proceeding with their applications.

    It is worth knowing that, admission form is never sold by any agent – be it online or offline. You have to interact with the university you’re proposing directly.

    There’s equally the need to know if you meet up with the O’level, JAMB, and GPA requirements by the recipient university.

    People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.

    Best Related Posts