Take Advantage of Opened Chances to Secure Admissions
We’ve covered a great deal in this series. Steps to gaining admission into any university, polytechnic, or college of education in Nigeria is a broad topic. That’s why I had taken the time to cover individual schools too. If you check the tag for “all universities admission guides”, you’re more like to see your own school covered in that individual schools covered.
As a reminder of this, we’ve covered:
- Getting ready for the admission to avoid wasting efforts at the end
- Staying connected to where you’ll be receiving correct news and updates regards stages of admission until the admission year ends.
- Staying focused to avoid distractions that may lead you to make wrong decisions
If you’ve not read those, kindly take a moment to check them. That may save you some trouble.
Now let’s see how you can Use Open Admission Chances to Gain Admission this year.
If you’ve talked to a few admitted students in the universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education today, they’re more likely to confess to you that they didn’t choose the school at all in JAMB. This set of lucky admitted candidates used what I called “open admissions”.
Year in year out, some schools will be ready to admit students who didn’t choose them in JAMB. This set of institutions only wants you to write UTME and have a certain mark. This mark is called the cut-off mark.
Once you meet the required or drawn cut-off mark for their post-UTMEs/admission screenings, they want you to take part in their admission activities just like those who chose them from the start.
These schools can do this in two ways. Let’s see that.
- Don’t Change to Us – Just Write our Post UTME: This set of schools won’t tell you to change to them before you can do their post UTME/screening. They only instruct you to do that after you must have been offered admission.
- Change to Us – and write our Post UTME: This set of schools will tell you to do their post-UTME provided you can change to them before buying their forms.
Below are the schools I can mention for now that are offering this rare opportunity. In order to know which one to change to before being offered admission or those that require the change after admission, I will add “before” and “after” in front of each.
Universities, Polytechnics, and Colleges that will allow you to do their post UTME without choosing them in JAMB are:
- All Private Universities in Nigeria (after)
- All Private Polytechnics in Nigeria (after)
- All Private Colleges of Education in Nigeria (after)
- Osun State University (before)
- Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo (before)
- Ekiti State University (EKSU) (before) or (after)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) (before)
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ABTU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (after)
- Federal College of Education, Okene – FCE (after)
- Kano University of Science and Technology (after)
- Ebonyi State University (before)
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education (after)
- Umaru Musa Yar’adua University (before)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology (after)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (before)
- Federal University Otuoke (before)
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT)
- Institute of Management and Technology (IMT), Enugu (after)
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (after)
- Gregory University, Uturu (after)
- Federal University Otuoke Bayelsa State (before)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (before)
- Abia State University, Uturu (before)
- Atiba University Oyo, Oyo State (after)
- Tai Solain University of Education (after)
- Universities with Degree awarding affiliates (after)
- Osun State College of Technology, Esa Oke (before)
- Osun State College of Education, Ila-Orangun (after)
Abraham Adesanya Polytechnic Ijebu Igbo (before/after)
NOTE: The system being used by any of the schools can change. But be rest assured they will be accepting candidates that didn’t choose them in JAMB as long as they have spaces. The very reason these schools are accepting all applicants is that they’re not that competitive and they have spaces to accommodate more admission seekers.
Open chances are not limited to the universities, polytechnics, and colleges that allow you to do their post UTME without choosing them from the start in JAMB will equally have a few open chances you should be on the lookout for and take advantage of them.
Failed Post UTME? Respond with Change of Institutions
Sometimes, admission seekers write post UTME and fail. This is not uncommon. If your proposed school requires like 50% as pass mark in their post UTME but after the result, you’re below that, you can take advantage of the JAMB change of institutions exercise.
Let me explain this to you vividly.
A candidate of mine in 2018 wrote UNILORIN post UTME. After the paper, he was below 50% which was the benchmark if the university would offer you admission for any course at all (some courses demand higher marks than that though). He came home to tell me about his disappointment, I advised him to change to Obafemi Awolowo University. Why? OAU was just selling her post UTME as at that time – which means those candidates who were quick enough can still do the JAMB change of institution to them before the university post UTME form ends.
Paul followed my advice. He wrote OAU post UTME but failed again. What a blow! But we didn’t quit. We had THREE chances to change institutions and or courses on the JAMB portal. We have burnt one to OAU. Then, I advised him to consider a school that won’t do (write) post UTME test if writing exams was giving him a headache. We resolved to Osun State University.
Finally, he was offered Law at this university. How? UNIOSUN wouldn’t set exams for their candidates. They only use O’level grades and UTME score to offer them admissions. The guy was favoured with high SSCE grades and 265 in UTME.
This kind of situation will always open up for you. Take advantage of them. In other words, if you fail the post UTME of your proposed university, don’t go back home with your head down or start preparing for the next UTME. Find out the schools that are yet to be selling their post UTME or are just out selling. See if you can consider any of them.
About 30%, if not more, candidates will gain admission using open admission chances. If you doubt this, ask a few admitted students to LAUTECH in 2018 and 2019. The university sold admission forms three different times to allow more candidates who didn’t choose her to be admitted. Ekiti State University also sold their forms almost endlessly the same year. They opened to all admission seekers provided you could change to them before being offered admission.
Don’t burn your two chances for JAMB change of institutions. Wait and be focused as I recommended earlier. I will personally share updates on this set of schools when the time comes. If you will love to have them sent to your email, subscribe to my posts.
We’ve come to the end of PART IV in this series – Using Opened Chances.
Now, we’ll proceed to “take advantages of alternatives to admission through JAMB“
People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.