This is the taking from my experiences with HND.
Nothing is practically wrong with going for HND or being an HND holder. Or I should say, nothing should be wrong with it. But from a different point of view, things may not be promising for you if you aim very higher with your HND certificate in the new Nigeria.
Federal Government has been working on bridging the gap between BSC and HND. This is why recently, in certain agencies, HND holders are upgraded to the level of their degree counterparts.
|HND/BSC Balance can be achieved.|
So what’s your position with your HND?
Below is a series of limitations with Higher National Diploma which Degree holders are not experiencing.
- BSC holders are usually considered for teaching (especially education graduates) without further qualifications. Whereas, HND holders are expected to have in addition, PDGE – Postgraduate Diploma in Education. This was why I wrote 6 Ways to Convert HND to Education Course (Teacher/Lecturer).
- BSC holders are mostly accepted for MSC admissions without further qualifications. Whereas, some schools will not admit an HND holder without professional qualifications (such as ICAN, etc) or PGD except for a few universities and courses detailed in my post, “Universities that Accept HND (with Lower Credit) for PGD/Msc“.
- BSc holders are usually assigned with administrative duties at work rather than practical field assignments which their HND counterparts are exposed to.
- Except most recently and to a few government establishments, HND holders were formerly employed with Grade Level 7; GL07 as opposed to Grade Level 08 for BSC holders. Yet, they are still limited to advancing beyond Grade level 14 as I detailed in the post, “Abolishing HND and BSC Dichotomy: Latest Developments You Must Know“.
Does this mean it’s a woe to be an holder of HND?
But the best advice still remains the same. Upgrade yourself!
1. Obtain JAMB DE form
Consider obtaining a Direct Entry form to further your education to BSC. If you want to win the same position as the BSCs, you must be there too. No other way!
I know this may sound absurd but it’s real and it can be the best thing to do. Most people have gone down to reobtain the JAMB UTME and reapply to the university. That’s worse. But you have a quicker way.
If you obtain JAMB DE form with National Diploma (ND), you’ll be given admission to the 200 level of your proposed course. But with HND, you could be given a 300 level course. Most schools are accepting this. See the list of those universities in, “Universities That Accept HND/Bsc into 300 Level Direct Entry (DE)“.
For instance, UNILORIN, for Engineering, accepts HND in a relevant Engineering discipline at Distinction or Upper Credits level from recognized Polytechnic or College of Technology after NYSC and may be considered for upgrading to 300 Level.
For more of this at UNILORIN, check my post “UNILORIN List of Available Courses, UTME and SSCE subjects Requirement”
This can be a way out of lower-grade stigma for HND holders too. For example, the University of Ilorin, through Direct Entry, accepts HND Lower Credit for the following courses and more.
- COMPUTER SCIENCE: Lower Credit in Computer Science
- MASS COMMUNICATION: HND (at least with Lower Credit) in Journalism, Mass Communication, Public Relations, and Advertising.
- AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT: A Higher National Diploma (HND or equivalent) in Agriculture or related field of study with a minimum of lower credit from a recognized institution in Animal Husbandry, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, Agricultural Economics and Farm Management, Food Science, Home Economics, Fishery, Forestry, and Wildlife, etc; will be admitted into 300 level.
Note that I only use UNILORIN as a point of reference here, hundreds of other schools are accepting HND holders for Direct Entry admission on the same terms. Check the JAMB brochure.
2. Obtain MSC Form of Schools Accepting HND Holders
As already mentioned, most schools are not considering HND holders for the Master’s Programmes. Yet, we have a handful of these universities who admit you with a convincing grade if you have HND.
See the list below.
This list will continually be updated, subscribe to this blog or bookmark this page for such future updates.
3. Obtain Top-Up Degree Form
This is equally called HND to BSC Conversation programme. It is takes, usually one, two or three years academic programmes to convert HND to a Degree in the same or related course. This is why it is called the HND-BSC Conversion programme.
The programme can also be taken to upgrade a weaker degree grade in the same course or to another.
In most countries where Higher National Diploma is discriminated against, holders of this qualification resolve to the Top-up degree to be equivalent to or recognized as their BSC counterparts.
How does this work?
You obtain the form usually sold by universities or their polytechnic affiliates. You’re admitted for one, two or three year of academic classes, tests, and exams. And after, you’re awarded BSC.
I detailed this in my post, “Top-up Degree in Nigeria and Abroad: All About One Year Course to Convert HND to Bsc”
Below is the list of schools where you can obtain an HND to BSC Top-Up Degree.
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (State)
- Bells University Abeokuta (Private)
- Alhikmah University Ilorin (Private)
- Southwestern University Nigeria (Private)
- Federal University Oye Ekiti
- Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti
- Delta State University (State)
- Osun State Polytechnic Iree in Affiliate with Ajayi Crowther University
- And more…
People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.