LOCAL AND FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES WITH TOP-UP DEGREE PROGRAMMES AND REASONS TO TAKE THE COURSE
It can be disheartening to find out that after spending about 5 years in polytechnic for your ND and HND program, you’re still NOT given the same, if not better recognition, as your university counterparts. Some people were done with their HND and later sidelined by the labor market for university graduates.
Imagine how worse it becomes to find out later that only the university graduates are even recognized, by law, to lecture at the polytechnics where you’ve been trained. An HND holder can lecture in a higher institution only if he has additional qualifications like PGD and/or MSC. Whereas, a Bsc holder can be offered a graduate lecturer position on convocation.
This is possible.
I gave more recommendations in my post, “HND vs Degree in Nigeria: 4 Ways Out for HND Holders“
You can end up possessing a degree certificate if you take any of the two routes below.
- Direct Entry Admission
- BSC (Degree) Top-up program or HND to Bsc Conversion Course
Direct Entry Admission
In the case of Direct Entry admission, you obtain JAMB direct entry form and select your intended university. You can be given admission to 200 or 300 level of your desired course – depending on the policies of the universities in question.
The main purpose of this piece is to introduce you to Bsc (Degree) Top-up program or HND to Bsc Conversion Course.
What is a BSC (Degree) Top-up Program or HND to BSC Conversion Course?
This post answers a series of questions and guides you on how to go about this short-cut to converting your Higher National Diploma (HND) to Bachelor of Science (BSC).
This is usually a year or two academic programs designed by some universities to upgrade HND holders to BSC.
The academic program is usually a two-semester course that will drill candidates in line with their previously held certificates. In other words, such course, usually, will be in line with or the same as your former course.
After completing this course, you now have two qualifications: your former HND certificate (under the previous polytechnic) and the new BSc certificate under the name of the new university.
Categories of Graduates that May Consider Top-Up Degree
The HND to Bsc Conversion program has been designed to help HND graduates upgrade their certificate to BSC. Generally, any HND holder should consider the course. Most importantly, it will be very ideal for the class of graduates below:
- HND holders with lower credit or pass (all concerned universities accepting lower grades)
- Graduates (Bsc/HND) who want to change to another related or different course. .
- Graduates of polytechnics are not trained to be teachers. They can use this program to change to an education line.
- University graduates (Bsc) with a third (3rd) class or pass can consider the course to chase a better grade.
Nigeria: Top Up Degree or HND to Bsc Conversion Program
In Nigeria, the HND – Bsc dichotomy is not new. Even when the government is trying to level both qualifications up, private establishments may not change the game in the next few decades.
This is why every HND holder who aims to use his education to get a job should consider this opportunity.
Whereas, several reputable universities are already running HND to Bsc or degree conversion course. The universities in Nigeria running top-up degree include:
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (State)
- Bells University Abeokuta (Private)
- Alhikmah University Ilorin, Kwara State (Private)
- Southwestern University Nigeria (Private)
- Federal University of Oye Ekiti (Federal)
- Ekiti State University (State)
- Delta State University (State)
- Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo
- Babcock University, Ilisha-Remo
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education
- Federal Polytechnic Ilaro
- Federal Polytechnic Ado
- Osun State Polytechnic Iree
- Lagos State Polytechnic
Foreign Universities: Top Up Degree for Nigeria HND Holders
Nigerian HND holders are wanted at foreign universities for a year HND to Bsc conversion/top-up Degree course. Among the most popular universities accepting Nigerians are:
- HEGT University, Cotonou Benin Republic
- Sheffield Hallam University, UK
- Birmingham City University
- Coventry University Group
The list will be continually updated. Visit the page again.
Online Top-up Degree: Top Up Degree for Nigeria HND Holders
- Arden University
- IICSE University
- StaffordGloba Top-Up Degree
- University of Derby
- UNICAF (University of South Wales) BA (Hons) – Business Studies
- The University of Hertfordshire UH
Answers to Some Questions on Top-Up Degree
Will it reflect on the certificate that I did a top-up degree instead of a regular degree?
Usually No. Schools here, are not known for indicating such.
Will I be allowed to go for NYSC after my top-up degree?
No, not likely. Policies may change with time. But right now, no such arrangements between NYSC and the schools.
How much does it cost to run a top-up degree?
No specific price for the program. In other words, the different school has its price and arrangement. However, experience has shown that the fee is usually affordable and friendly. Students usually enjoy flexible payment plans too. To know the cost, contact the school of interest.
Can I be working when running a top-up degree?
Yes, you can. The programme is usually on a part-time basis (weekends) and for a period of one, two, or three years. However, where a school runs it for a year, it’s going to be tedious academic arrangements that may not be encouraging for the working students.
Best Related Posts
- 11+ Universities that Accepts HND (with Lower Credit) for Masters (Postgraduates)
- BSC, HND, OND, NCE Admissions: What are the Differences Among all Awards
- Understand PART-TIME Degree, HND, ND or NCE Programmes: Short-cut to Gain Admission Without UTME
- EKSU Direct/Top-UP Degree/Part-Time Requirements for UTME, SSCE, ND, NCE and HND
- Al-Hikmah University Top-Up (Degree and HND Conversion) Form is Out. See Details