FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, ABEOKUTA POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL ABEOKUTA, NIGERIA PROGRAMMES FOR 2019/2020 ACADEMIC SESSION
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates seeking admission to the following Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters and Doctor of Philosophy Degree programmes at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria
The Postgraduate School at FUNAAB was established and assigned, by regulation, the responsibility for “co-ordination and quality control of postgraduate studies at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)”. The regulation provides that “Postgraduate Studies shall include all academic and professional programmes which require student achievement beyond the undergraduate level in any field, generally leading to the award of a Postgraduate Diploma, Master or Doctorate Degree”.
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURAL MANAGEMENT AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT (COLAMRUD)
- Department of Agricultural Administration. PGD, Agricultural Administration M. Agric. and Ph.D. (i) Agricultural Administration (ii) Human Resource Management in Agriculture (iii) Organisational Dynamics in Agricultural Institutions
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Farm Management M.Sc., Agricultural Economics (Professional)-Weekend M.B.A., Agribusiness (Weekend) M. Agric. & Ph.D., Agricultural Economics with options in: (i) Agribusiness Management and Finance (ii) Agricultural Development and Policy Analysis (iii) Food Marketing and International Trade (iv) Consumer Welfare and Food Economics (v) Cooperative Development (vi) Environment and Resource Economics (vii) Production Economics and Farm Management
- Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development M.Sc. (Professional)-Weekend (i) Gender Development Studies M. Agric. & Ph.D. (i) Agricultural Extension and Innovation Studies (ii) Agriculture and Rural Development (iii) Agricultural Communication & Information Management (iv) Agricultural Extension System Management (v) Subject Matter Extension
- Department of Communication and General Studies PGD (i) Communication Studies (ii) Professional Ethics (iii) Library and Information Studies M.Sc. (Professional) PMCS Weekend (i) Communication Studies (ii) Security and Intelligence Studies (iii) Peace and Strategic Studies M.Sc. (Academic) (i) Communication Studies (ii) Peace and Strategic Studies (iii) Professional and Applied Ethics (iv) Library and Information Studies (v) Security and Intelligence Studies Ph.D. Communication Studies
COLLEGE OF ANIMAL SCIENCE AND LIVESTOCK PRODUCTION (COLANIM)
- Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics (M. Agric. and Ph.D.) (i) Animal Biotechnology (ii) Animal Breeding and Genetics PGD Poultry Breeding, Artificial Insemination and Hatchery Management
- Department of Animal Nutrition (M. Agric. and Ph.D.) (i)Monogastric Animal Nutrition (ii)Ruminant Animal Nutrition PGD Livestock Feed Resources
- Department of Animal Physiology (M. Agric. and Ph.D.) Animal Physiology
- Department of Animal Production and Health (M. Agric. and Ph.D.) (i) Ruminant Production (ii) Non-Ruminant Production (iii) Livestock System PGD (i) Small Ruminant Production (ii) Beef and Dairy Cattle Production (iii) Meat Processing and packaging (iv) Poultry Production (v) Pig Production (vi) Rabbit Production
- Department of Pasture and Range Management (M.Agric. and Ph.D.) (i) Pasture Production and Utilization (ii) Range Management. PGD Pasture Production
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING (COLENG)
- Department of Agricultural & Bio Resources M. Agric. & Ph.D., Agricultural and Bio-Resources Engineering with options in: (i) Agricultural Power and Machinery (ii) Bio-Systems and Food Process Engineering (iii) Water and Ecological Resources Engineering (iv) Agricultural and Rural Structures Engineering (v) Environmental Resources Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering M. Eng. and Ph.D. (i) Highway & Traffic Engineering (ii) Water Resources & Environmental Engineering (iii) Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering (M Eng. Only) (iv) Structural Engineering (Ph.D. Only)
- Department of Electrical/Electronics Engineering (M.Eng. and Ph.D.) (i) Electrical Machine and Power System (ii) Communication and Digital Signal Processing (iii) Electrical and Electronic Control Systems
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (M.Eng. and Ph.D.) (i) Thermo-fluids (ii) Industrial Engineering (iii) Materials Engineering (iv) Production Engineering
COLLEGE OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (COLERM)
- Department of Aquaculture and Fisheries Management M.A.F. & Ph.D., Aquaculture and Fisheries with options in: (i) Aquaculture (ii) Fish Nutrition (iii) Fish Pathology (iv) Fisheries Management PGD (i) Aquaculture and Fisheries Management
- Department of Environmental Management and Toxicology MEMP (Academic) Environmental Management and Protection MEM (Professional) Weekend (PT) Environmental Management (Ph.D.) (i) Environmental Management (ii) Environmental Toxicology
- Department of Forestry and Wildlife Management (M.F. and Ph.D.) (i) Agro-Forestry (ii) Forest Ecology and Conservation (iii) Forestry Biometric & Remote Sensing (iv) Forestry Economics and Management (MWM and Ph.D.) (i) Wildlife Domestication and Production (ii) Wildlife Management (iii) Wildlife Park Planning & Recreational Development. (MWS and Ph.D.) (i) Pulps and Paper. (ii) Wood Utilization and Protection (iii) Forest Operations (Ph.D. Only)
- Department of Water Resources Management (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Agrometeorology (ii) Water Resources Management (iii) Agrohydrology (iv) Hydrometeorology
COLLEGE OF FOOD SCIENCE AND HUMAN ECOLOGY (COLFHEC)
- Department of Food Science and Technology (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Food Quality Control & Assurance (ii) Food Process Engineering (iii) Food Microbiology & Biotechnology (iv) Food Processing & Storage Technology
- Department of Nutrition and Dietetics (MSc. and Ph.D.) Nutrition & Dietetics. PGD Part Time (Weekend only) Nutrition & Dietetics
- Department of Home Science and Management (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Clothing and Textile (ii) Human Development and Family Studies
- COLLEGE OF BIOSCIENCES (COLBIOS) Department of Biochemistry (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) Biochemistry
- Department of Biological Sciences (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i ) Botany (Plant Physiology) (ii) Botany (Cytology & Cytogenetics) (iii) Botany (Plant Pathology) (iv) Zoology (Animal Physiology) (v) Zoology (Entomology) (vi) Zoology (Parasitology)
- Department of Microbiology (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Environmental Microbiology (ii) Food and Industrial Microbiology (iii) Medical Microbiology & Public Health. (iv) Agricultural Microbiology & Biotechnology
COLLEGE OF PHYSICAL SCIENCES (COLPHYS)
- Department of Computer Science M.Sc. and Ph.D. (Full-Time) Computer Science MICT (Weekend) Masters of Information and Communication Technology PGD (Weekend) Computer Science
- Department of Mathematics (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Fluid Mechanics (Ph.D. only) (ii) Algebra (Loop Theory, Fuzzy Logic) (iii) Ordinary Differential Equations (iv) Optimization Theory (v) Probability and Stochastic Theory (vi) Mathematical Analysis
- Department of Physics (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Environmental Physics (ii)Radiation and Health Physics (iii) Condensed Matter Physics (iv)Solid Earth Physics/Geophysics (v)Theoretical Physics (Not available this academic session)
- Department of Statistics (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Statistics (ii) Applied Statistics (iii)Biometry PGD Part Time (Weekend only) Statistics
- Department of Chemistry (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Analytical Chemistry (ii) Industrial Chemistry (iii) Inorganic Chemistry (iv) Physical Chemistry (v) Organic Chemistry
COLLEGE OF PLANT SCIENCE AND CROP PRODUCTION (COLPLANT)
- Department of Crop Protection (M.Agric. and Ph.D.) (i) Crop Protection (Entomology) (ii) Crop Protection (Nematology) (iii)Crop Protection (Plant Pathology) PGD Crop Protection
- Department of Horticulture (M.Agric. and Ph.D.) Horticulture PGD Horticulture
- Department of Plant Breeding and Seed Technology (M.Agric. and Ph.D.) (i) Plant Breeding (ii) Seed Science and Technology. PGD Plant Breeding and Seed Science
- Department of Plant Physiology and Crop Production (M.Agric. and Ph.D.) (i) Crop Physiology (ii) Crop Production (iii) Weed Science. PGD Crop Production
- Department of Soil Science and Land Management (M.Agric. and Ph.D.) (i) Soil Chemistry (ii) Soil Physics (iii) Soil Fertility (iv) Soil Mineralogy (v) Soil Management and Conservation (vi) Soil Microbiology & Biochemistry (vii)Pedology (viii) Environmental Soil Science (ix)Land Use Planning & Management
- PGD Soil Management and Land Use Planning
COLLEGE OF VETERINARY MEDICINE (COLVET) (M.Sc., M.VSc. and Ph.D.)
- Department of Veterinary Medicine & Surgery (MVSc. and PhD.) (A) Veterinary Medicine with options in: (i) Avian Medicine (ii) Food Animal Medicine (iii) Companion (Equine and Small Animal) Medicine (iv) Fish Medicine (v) Wildlife Medicine (B) Veterinary Surgery with options in: (i) Soft Tissue Surgery (ii) Orthopedic Surgery (iii) Large/Food Animal Surgery (iv) Anesthesiology
- Department of Veterinary Public Health & Reproduction (MVSc. and Ph.D.) (i) Veterinary Public Health & Preventive Medicine (ii) Veterinary Reproduction (Theriogenology)
- Department of Veterinary Pathology (MVSc. and PhD.) (i) Veterinary Anatomy Pathology (ii) Veterinary Clinical Pathology (iii) Poultry Pathology (iv) Comparative Pathology (v) Veterinary Toxicologic Pathology (vi) Nutritional Pathology
- Department of Veterinary Microbiology & Parasitology (M.Sc., MVSc. & Ph.D.) (i) Veterinary Microbiology (ii) Veterinary Parasitology
- Department of Veterinary Anatomy (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Veterinary Anatomy
- Department of Veterinary Physiology & Pharmacology (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) (i) Veterinary Physiology (ii) Veterinary Pharmacology (iii) Veterinary Biochemistry MVPT Master of Veterinary Pharmacy and Therapeutics (Professional)
FUNAAB Postgraduate Admission Requirements
To be eligible for admission to the Postgraduate Diploma Programme, candidates must be first degree holders in a relevant discipline from any recognized University. In general, all applicants must satisfy basic UTME requirements for Bachelor’s degree. Holders of HND with Upper Credit and above could also apply. Holders of First Degree in Animal Science are eligible to apply for Postgraduate Diploma Programme in Animal Science.
Candidates for Master’s Degree Programme must be graduates of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta or any other University recognized by the Senate and shall normally have obtained a minimum of Second Class (Upper Division) degree in relevant field. However, candidates with Second Class Lower Degree in relevant field may be considered. Candidates for Masters of Information and Communication Technology (MICT) programme should possess HND plus a Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science or B.Sc. Physical Sciences/Engineering and Allied Disciplines. Prior computing or IT exposure is beneficial but not essential. Candidates for admission to Masters and Ph.D. programmes in Communication Studies shall possess University degrees in Arts, Science, Applied Science, Social Science and Education or other related disciplines.
To be eligible for admission to the MBA (AgriBusiness) and Professional Master in Communication Studies degree programmes, candidates must be holders of Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University or HND (Upper Credit minimum) with a Postgraduate Diploma in any discipline.
Candidates with Postgraduate Diploma in Communication studies with a minimum cumulative average of 55% may be considered for Master’s Degree in Communication Studies. In addition, possession of relevant professional qualification and/or experience will be an advantage. A credit pass in O’ Level Mathematics is not compulsory for admission into Professional Master in Communication Studies programme which is strictly part-time (Friday and Saturday) programme. The duration of the programme is a minimum of 4 semesters.
Masters of Environment Management (MEM) is a three-semester professional programme designed for captains of industries who are degree holders or HND holders with distinction/credit pass plus PGD in relevant fields who have also satisfied all basic UTME requirements while Masters of Environment Management and Protection (MEMP) is an academic Master’s Degree that runs for a minimum of four (4) semesters.
The requirement for M. Agric applicants in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Farm Management is B. Agric (Agric Economics) with Second Class Upper. Other disciplines will be admitted to M.Sc. (Professional) with the prospect of conversion to M.Agric on attaining a minimum weighted average score of 60% after the first year.
Masters of Veterinary Science (M.V.Sc.) and Master of Science (M.Sc.) courses are open to: (i) M.V.Sc. – Master of Veterinary Science is open to Graduates of Veterinary Medicine of FUNAAB and other Universities recognized by the Senate. Any other qualification adjudged to be equivalent to a DVM by the Senate. Candidates must satisfy any other requirements as specified by the postgraduate school of FUNAAB. (ii) M.Sc.: – The Master of Science degree is open to Graduates of Biological Sciences of FUNAAB and other institutions recognized by Senate. Fellows of the Nigerian Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology or its equivalent may also be considered. Candidates must satisfy any other requirements as specified by the Postgraduate School of FUNAAB.
For Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree programme, a student must have obtained Master’s degree from the College of Veterinary Medicine of FUNAAB or other University recognized by Senate and other qualification adjudged to be equivalent to a Master’s degree by the Senate.
The duration of study for the Master’s degree programme shall be a minimum of 4 semesters and maximum of 8 semesters for full time candidates; while part time studies shall be for a minimum of 6 semesters and maximum of 10 semesters. Part-time students must finish all course works within the first four semesters of their registration.
To be eligible for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy degree programme, candidates must have obtained a Master’s degree from FUNAAB or its equivalent from any other University recognized by Senate. Holders of one year Master’s Degree are expected to undergo a conversion examination after the first session before proceeding to a Ph.D. programme.
Candidates for academic Masters and Ph.D. programmes shall be required to submit a research proposal along with their application forms, and may be required to interact (in oral or written form) with their respective Departments before admission.
Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) Degree/Programme Full Time (FT) – 6 Semesters Minimum & Maximum of 10 Semesters. Part-Time (PT) – 8 Semesters Minimum & Maximum of 12 Semesters
MASTERS PROGRAMMES Full Time (FT) – 4 Semesters Minimum & Maximum of 8 Semesters. Part-Time (PT) – 8 Semesters Minimum & Maximum of 12 Semesters
PROFESSIONAL MASTERS PROGRAMMES Full Time (FT) – 3 Semesters Minimum & Maximum of 6 Semesters. Part-Time (PT) – 4 Semesters Minimum & Maximum of 8 Semesters
PGD PROGRAMMES Full Time FT) – 2 Semesters Minimum & Maximum of 4 Semesters. Part-Time (PT) – 4 Semesters Minimum & Maximum of 8 Semesters
Method of Application and Payment
Applicants should visit the PG Application portal https://pgs.unaab.edu.ng to commence the process of application. Application cost is Fifteen Thousand, Five Hundred and Sixty Naira (N15,560:00) only exclusive of Bank Charges.
The closing date for online Submission of Application for Masters and PGD programmes is until further notice. Application for Ph.D. is opened all year round. Successful applicants will be contacted by e-mail or telephone.