Especially if you want to consider the school of nursing instead of a university, polytechnic, or college of education, you may want to know whether you will need JAMB for the admission.
A few candidates who had read my post, “Schools of Nursing and Universities JAMB Cut Off Marks“, may not need to ask this question because this question had been partly answered. However, nothing is wrong with dedicating this post to answer the question in detail.
Will you need JAMB for the school of Nursing admission? Are schools of Nursing asking for JAMB results before their admissions? Is there any need to write JAMB to process the school of Nursing Admission?
These are a few related questions that will be covered in this post.
You Don’t Need JAMB For School of Nursing Admission
Every intending applicant into the schools of Nursing in Nigeria should know that he or she won’t need to obtain the JAMB form in order to process his or her admission into the colleges.
Schools of Nursing are independent of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB). Hence the colleges are not included among the institutions under the armpit of the board.
Institutions under the operations of the board are:
- Universities (Federal, State, and Private)
- Polytechnics (Federal, State, and Private)
- Colleges of Education (Federal, State, and Private)
- Colleges of Health (Federal, State, and Private)
- Initiative Enterprise Institutes (Federal, State, and Private)
Schools of nursing are solely under the armpit of teaching hospitals that are equally under the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria. NMCN is the sole governing body that regulates all cadres of nurses and midwives in Nigeria
You Need JAMB for a University of Nursing
However, if you’re seeking admission into universities offering Nursing/Nursing Science (different from the schools or colleges of Nursing), you’ll need to obtain the JAMB form.
Just as earlier noted, all universities (public and private) are under the supervision of admission by the board. Hence, those that are offering Nursing will require JAMB UTME/DE forms before being offered the admissions.
You Generally Need O’level Results For School of Nursing Admission
Having established that you didn’t need JAMB before you could process admissions into colleges of Nursing, you should understand that the main entry requirements for the three-year basic or general nursing are O’level results which include the WAEC, NECO, GCE, and NABTEB.
As such, schools of Nursing require applicants to possess at least 5 credit passes in the subjects below:
- English Language
- Biology and
Other School of Nursing Admission Requirements
If the SSCE requirements are met, it’s important to know that there are more likely requirements by the colleges of Nursing. And these requirements may vary among them.
- Applicants must be between 16, 17, 18, and above while seeking the admissions
- Applicants should not be pregnant before being admitted. Pregnancy may be accepted during the course but not before.
- Applicants should be ready to obtain the admission forms, partake in the entrance exams and interviews before being offered the admissions
- Applicants must be medically and mentally fit to be admitted
It’s not uncommon to feel like you will need the JAMB form before being admitted by the schools of Nursing. A few candidates might have even tried to gain admissions using UTME results. This is not the case, reserve your results for admissions into other institutions other than colleges of nursing.
Best Related Posts
- Can I Study Medicine, Nursing, Law, etc at the College of Education?
- Difference Between Registered Nursing (RN) and Registered Midwifery (RM)
- 79 Polytechnics Offering SLT and Admission Requirements
- School of Nursing VS Nursing in University: Differences, Better One and List of Schools
- Can I Study Nursing at a University After OND/HND/NCE?