Can Post UTME Phone No., Email, or Date of Birth Differ From JAMB?

JAMB logo

As soon as the post-UTMEs/screenings of various universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education registrations start, candidates find themselves in different messes. Some had lost their SIMs or wish to change the phone numbers for one reason or the other. They might have borrowed the SIMs to just collect the JAMB profile code back then during the UTME/DE registration. But now they need to change it for the post UTME.

Some candidates who want to proceed for post UTME or screening applications will want to know, forearmed, if they can use a phone number different from the one used during the JAMB UTME/DE registration. Some will want to change their emails during the post UTME or Post Direct Entry registrations. A few will even have reasons to change their dates of birth. Hence, need to consider dates of birth different from the ones used for JAMB.
This post will answer your questions as directly as possible and guide you in related situations.

1. You Can Use a Different Phone Number for the Post-UTME/Screening

As a matter of fact, a candidate is free to make use of a phone number other than the one used during the UTME/DE registration. During the post-UTME registration, your institutions are only interested in an active phone line. In other words, they don’t care about the phone line/number used for JAMB. They only want a number they can send messages (SMS) to or call you on (if need be).
Therefore, you can drop the JAMB phone number at this stage and fill in another.
However, if you need to do anything with your JAMB account (not post UTME) e.g change of institution/course, you will need your JAMB phone number to collect the OTP. As for post-UTME/screening, just supply a functioning and regular phone number.

2. You Can Use a Different Email for the Post-UTME/Screening

Post-UTME registrations usually require active/functioning emails. Hence, candidates are to be sure they supply that during the registrations. Your school portals may need to send confirmation messages to that email before you can proceed with your registrations. The school may also, in the future, contact you on the next admission stages through email.

As a matter of fact, you are allowed to use a different email from the JAMB’s at this stage. You might have lost the password to your JAMB email or perhaps the email doesn’t belong to you. You’re NOT tied to the JAMB email. Kindly register another one (if needed) for your post UTME/screening.
However, to login to your JAMB profile, you definitely need your JAMB email which can’t be changed for access into the profile. For any other purpose, such as post UTME/screening registrations, you can use a different email.

3. You Can Use a Different Date of Birth for the Post UTME/Screening

Here, there is a need to caution you first.
If you’d made a mistake on your date of birth (DOB), right during the UTME/DE registration, the best is to do the JAMB change of date of birth. This is the official way to alter the dates.
However, if you must do your post UTME/DE now, you can proceed with the right date and later do the change of birth on the JAMB portal as well. This is the only way your figures will correspond.
A fact to note, just as JAMB needs your correct date of birth so also are your proposed institutions. The schools will check your birth certificate or age declaration while screening you. Hence, the DOB must be the same across the board.
If you use a different date of birth during post-UTME/DE registration, be sure to change to that through the JAMB change of data as well. This, you can do at a nearby CBT center or JAMB office nationwide.

READ MORE  58 Polytechnics Offering Banking and Finance in Nigeria

4. You Can Use a Different Name, Gender, State, or Local Government of Origin for the Post UTME/Screening

Other related concerns include the situation where candidates make mistakes in their names, state/local government of origins. 
For a reason personal to you, you may need to use different names during post UTME. Some candidates may want to use different state/local governments because of the catchment areas or tuition preference. And if an error cropped in the choice of genders, you can change it during the post UTME.
However, just like changing the date of birth, you have to do the correction of data on the JAMB portal. This, as already noted, can be done at a CBT center or JAMB office. Although, we had recorded several instances where JAMB rejected applications for the change of names, date of birth, or state of origin.


Generally, candidates are allowed to use details different from their JAMB’s during the post-UTMEs/screenings. But on conditions! For the phone number or email, you can change without the need to do the same on the JAMB portal.
However, for the names, gender, state of origin, the local government of origin, and date of birth, there is the need to do the same changes on the JAMB portal using the services of a CBT centre or JAMB office. These items must correspond across the board.
NEED a guide, further explanation, update or answer on something? Check if that has been covered on this blog by searching your question on Google and add in front e.g  Will I be offered admission with 150 +  My posts on it or related ones will be displayed for you by Google.
People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on FacebookTwitterWhatsapp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.

Best Related Posts

  1. JAMB UTME/DE: Answers 16 Questions Bothering Candidates
  2. Lost JAMB SIM/Line, Reg/Exams/Change Slip? Get it Back!
  3. JAMB Gives The Easiest Way to Retrieve Lost Profile Password
  4. Do-It-Yourself: Change of Institutions/Courses, Gender, State/LGA (With Online or Bank Payment)
  5. How to Book an Appointment with JAMB and For What
READ MORE  Do Cafes/CBT Centres Handle Change of Institutions/Courses?

Related Articles