This post will be my quick explanation about this.
Generally, NABTEB results are supposed to be acceptable for Nursing admission in Nigeria with effect from June 11, 2018.
The following is the circular by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria with reference number N&MCN/SO/RO/067/NBTEB/Vol.1/57.
Is Using NABTEB Result For Nursing Admission Really Working?
The answer is NO and YES
Not all schools of nursing are accepting NABTEB to date. For example, checking the admission adverts of the following schools, nowhere NABTEB was mentioned as the SSCE entry requirements.
- Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital School of Nursing
- Oyo State College of Nursing, Eleyele Ibadan
- Ogun State School of Nursing and Midwifery
- University of Benin Teaching Hospital School of Nursing
- Benue State School of Nursing
- Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital School of Nursing
- Adamawa State College of Nursing and Midwifery
- University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Teaching Hospital (OAUTH)
- College of Nursing, Oke Ode, Kwara State
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital School of Nursing
- Federal School of Nursing Ido Ekiti
- Osun State School of Nursing, Asubairo Osogbo
The colleges of Nursing in the list above generally accept WAEC, NECO, and GCE for the two. Although, this may change sooner. That’s why you have to check the list to see if I’d updated them for the acceptance of NABTEB results.
However, as of now, the following schools of nursing indicate that they’re accepting NABTEB.
- Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja School of Nursing
- Kastina State School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Kaduna State College of Nursing
- University Ilorin Teaching Hospital School of Nursing
- University of Ibadan Teaching Hospital School of Nursing
Are Universities Accepting NABTEB for Nursing Admission?
Another thing to look at is; can someone use NABTEB for University Nursing (BSc Nursing) admission?
I had covered this in my recent post. But to save time, NO!
Even though the circular above is enforcing the schools and colleges of nursing to accept the results, nowhere it mandated the universities offering degree nursing to do the same.
In other words, even if colleges and schools of nursing should abide by this directive sooner, I’m not sure that will happen to any university any time soon. Several universities turn their backs to accepting NABTEB for Nursing. Even though the JAMB brochure may be silent on this, I don’t recommend chasing Bsc Nursing admission with NABTEB.
Proceeding to Universities with Direct Entry
A related situation is; if you gain your nursing admission (RN) with NABTEB but now wish to proceed to the university through Direct entry admission, can you be offered admission with the same SSCE result?
This situation is new. But to prepare your mind, it may all depend on the receiving university’s admission policy and waiver terms.
In other words, schools that give value to your registered nursing certificate as the basis for the direct entry admission may accept it with the NABTEB it was placed on. Schools that give more value to O’level or both, may deprive you of the admission eventually.
We may be of the view that it may take a while before all schools of nursing will be accepting NATEB for admission. The circular, at the time of this post, is just about two years old.
Though NABTEB will need to, beyond the circular, enforce it. They will need to place some enforcement mechanisms in place.
Admission seekers should carefully read the school’s sales of form adverts to check if they’ve also adopted the use of NABTEB any time sooner.
People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.
- School of Nursing, Health Tech, and Hygiene: Answers to Students’ Questions on Admissions
- School of Nursing VS Bsc Nursing: Which one is the best for you?
- Universities Offering Nursing – UTME Subjects Combination/DE Grade and SSCE (O’level)
- LUTH Nursing Form: Courses, Entry Requirements, Admission Lists, Fee and Closing Date