“Of course”, you’ll say yes.
Students like it. It’s sounding attractive!
You may be wrong.
Most of the time – the real reason is, very many admission seekers believe they can use that to cross to Nursing in universities. A similar issue is, it’s one of the two medical/technology courses in polytechnics.
This is it. Have you heard it that you can study SLT in a polytechnic and after your 2-year ND programme, you can do JAMB Direct entry to pursue Nursing in University? Thereby, you continue to Nursing Degree at 200 level?
Some NCE holders are also finding ways to use their certificates to pursue Nursing. They want to know if there are universities accepting that for a degree Nursing.
Can I Use Science Laboratory Technology ND or NCE for Nursing?
Well, I regret telling you that this is most likely impossible – but not entirely.
I will explain.
Candidates are proposing Science Laboratory Technology in Polytechnics to be able to study Nursing later will be disappointed because few universities are accepting SLT for Degree Nursing.
In this post, I covered those universities that accept it and those that won’t.
Universities Currently Accepting for Direct Entry Nursing
DIRECT ENTRY REQUIREMENT FOR NURSING
- At least ‘A’ level passes not below Grade C in any two of the following Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics.
- ND/HND at Upper Credit level in Prosthetics and Orthotics.
- First Degree in Health Sciences.
- Very good passes in three JUPEB subjects namely Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. It does not accept NCE. Candidates must in addition meet the ‘O’ Level requirements.
What Other Universities Accepting for Nursing Direct Entry
Having said that you may not be able to chase Nursing admission with SLT, you must know what those universities care for instead – after all, they are still accepting candidates for DE.
- Our universities are majorly accepting Registered Nursing (RN) for their direct entry. In other words, applicants must have completed a three-year basic nursing program. In fact, they accept the Registered Midwifery (RM) together with some years of working experience.
- Some also accept A’levels such as IJMB, JUPEB, and Cambridge.
- Some eye for BSC/HND in the likes environmental health and some for Nutrition and Dietetics etc
Universities that May Consider SLT (OND) and/or NCE for Nursing Direct Entry
However, some will accept ND, HND, or NCE in health-related courses. This is where you can be favoured if you studied SLT in your ND days. But disappointingly, very few universities are accepting these. See them below:
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi, Birnin Kebbi states that, to be admitted into 4 years B.Sc. Nursing Programme, the candidate must possess: ‘A’ Level passes in Biology, Chemistry and Physics ND/HND in relevant fields such as Diploma in Nursing and Dietetics, Science Laboratory Technology and Food Science and Technology with a minimum of Lower Credit plus 5 credit in WASCE/NECO/GCE
- Adeleke University, Ede (AUE) accepts ND credit plus five SSCE (5) subjects including Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English. However, such ND should be from health-related courses such as Science Laboratory Technology, Environmental Health, and Nutrition and Dietetics
- University of Calabar (UNICAL) also accepts HND in Public Health, ND in Environmental Health, Public Health Nursing from West African Health Examination Board in addition to five (5) SSCE subjects including Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English
- Ebonyi State University (EBSU) accepts HND, NCE, and ND with a minimum of Merit and Upper credit respectively in the relevant programme. Since they are not specific to the relevant courses, Science Laboratory Technology should be accepted.
- Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) also accepts ND/HND upper credit in Health-Related programme plus (5) O’level credits passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry. The university does not accept the first degree or NCE.
A further Visit to the JAMB Brochure on What Universities accept for Direct Entry for Nursing
- Ambrose Alli University (AAU) accepts Registered Nurse/Midwife RN, RM with one (1) year post registration experience; as well as RN, RPN or RN, RNA, or RN, RNT with at least five (5) O’level credits passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry.
- Ambrose Alli University (AAU) also accepts a good first degree (BSC) programme e.g. Biochemistry, Anatomy, Human Physiology, Health Education, Psychology, Guidance, and Counseling.
- Check for other universities’ Direct Entry requirements in my post, “Universities Offering Nursing – UTME Subjects Combination/DE Grade and SSCE (O’level) Requirement”.
Best Related Posts
- Are Polytechnics Offering Medicine, Nursing, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Law, etc? See Answer
- Universities that Don’t Accept Admissions for Nursing and Public Health This Year.
- School of Nursing, Health Tech, and Hygiene: Answers to Students’ Questions on Admissions
- How Many Years Does It Take To Study Nursing In Universities?
- OND Vs NCE: Which One Is Higher? Which One To Go For?