The question, “Is it possible to do a postgraduate programme before NYSC or at the same time?” has been cropping up online for a while and people are still not satisfied with the answers they had got so far. This was why I researched the matter. And I hope when you’re done reading this piece, you’ll be satisfied with my findings.
This post answers three questions:
- Can I do a Master’s before NYSC?
- Can I do a Master’s during NYSC?
- Can I do Master’s/PGD without the NYSC certificate?
- Can I do PGD and be in service together?
Very many youth corps members wish they can run MSC, PGD, etc while in service. Some even prefer going for their postgraduate courses while still waiting to be mobilized. Below is what you must know if you wish to do Master’s before or during NYSC.
You can run Masters/PGD Programmes before or during NYSC
Possessing an NYSC certificate before postgraduate programmes is not required by almost all universities in Nigeria. For example, going through the University of Ilorin postgraduates advert, there is no single reference to the need for NYSC before Masters. Hence, the university allows you to obtain their postgraduate forms immediately after graduation – which means, also, you can undergo it while in service.
- Osun State University (UNIOSUN),
- Adekunle Ajasin University (AAUA),
- Kwara State University (KWASU),
- Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA),
- Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB) and
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
…were sampled to confirm if you can run Msc during or before NYSC. Here are my findings.
NYSC is not needed for you to proceed to Msc or PGD in those universities. You can run their Master’s while at NYSC or before being mobilized in the first place.
Universities that Require NYSC for Masters (Postgraduates Programmes)
Currently, I’ve been able to see a few courses that the University of Ibadan (UI) for which NYSC certificate, exemption certificate or exclusion letter are required. However, this condition is only applicable to Nigerian graduates at UI.
Below is the list of courses that the University demands NYSC for if you must apply for their Master’s programme.
- Professional Degree Master of Public Health (M.P.H) in Field Epidemiology
- Academic Masters Degree in Otorhinolaryngology
- PG Diploma in Forensic Odontology
- Any M.Sc Programme In the Department Of Radiology
- M.Sc. B.Sc. Biostatistics
- M.Sc Clinical Epidemiology
- M.Sc Epidemiology
- M.Sc. Marketing and Consumer Studies
In the case of Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU, generally, all courses need NYSC discharged certificates. However, the university accepts Exemption certificates or exclusion letters where the discharged is not available.
With time, I will be updating this list until I’m able to cover all Nigerian universities. Subscribe for the update to be sent to you.
As a matter of fact, very few universities will demand NYSC before a Master’s. You should check each school’s current or previous year PG adverts to see whether they allow you to run Masters before NYSC or during the service year.
If a school will allow exempted graduates and distance learning/part-time graduates to obtain her postgraduates studies form, they will either allow it or accept exemption or exclusion letters as the case may be.
People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.
Best Related Posts
- 11 Courses to Study at University/College to Be Able to Start a Business
- 21+ Universities That Accept HND into 300 Level Direct Entry (DE)
- After NYSC What Next? Msc,/Job Search or Business (Self-Employment)
- Can I Get Work Without NYSC Certificate? Where You Can or Can’t Work Without Serving
- What to do Before NYSC: 3 Ways to Prepare for Life After Graduation