While trying to make your courses of choice during JAMB UTME registration, there are a few questions to ask and get the right answers to.
- Are the courses available in the schools proposed?
- Are the schools admitting candidates for the year?
- What are the SSCE subjects required for the course?
- What are the subjects of the proposed courses in UTME?
Answering the last two questions correctly will determine the schools and courses you’ll go for.
Candidates are now asking if they can just choose different institutions in their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice together with different courses for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th institutions.
This post will answer your questions and a few related issues.
You Are Suppose to Choose Different Institutions in the First Place
JAMB has designed its platform for candidates to be able to choose four different institutions. This doesn’t mean that candidates can’t consider a school twice or three times.
But with the design of the JAMB form, the board originally wants you to consider four choices and usually different institutions.
Hence, if you wish to consider different institutions under each category – university, polytechnic, college of education, and Innovative Enterprise Institute (IEI), you’ve just done what JAMB originally wants.
You’re Allowed to Choose Different Courses for Each of the Four Institutions
Likewise, candidates are allowed to consider different courses for their choices 1, 2, 3, and 4, if wished.
You can, as well, take the same course, where wished, for the four schools. You’re never locked to a form of selections.
However, there a few things to take into consideration while trying to consider a different course for each of the four institutions.
- the courses must require the same O’level subjects
- the courses must require the same UTME subjects
- However, courses under the IEI category may be anything even if it requires other subjects for SSCE and UTME.
The Same O’level/UTME Subjects for the Different Courses
Of course, there are usually, 5 required subjects from WAEC, NECO, GCE, or NABTEB for any course.
So, while proposing any course, you must make sure you have the 5 that your proposed course demands.
If you now decide to consider different courses for JAMB schools of choice, be certain that those courses require the same SSCE subjects.
For example, for the university, you can consider Computer Engineering which will require Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics and any of Biology, Geography, etc.
For the polytechnic, if you don’t want to consider Computer Engineering, courses such as Science Laboratory Technology, Building Technology, Geology, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, and the likes, will also require the same SSCE subjects.
And for the college, courses like Maths/Physics, Computer/Maths, etc may be chosen – because they require the same O’level subjects.
In the same vein, these different courses still require the same UTME subjects which are English, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry/Biology.
This is just one example.
You should, by now, have an idea of what I’m talking about when I say different courses can be taken, yet the SSCE and UTME subjects must align.
Best Related Posts
- Can I Do Change of Institutions/Courses Twice?
- Best Universities/Polytechnics in Nigeria: Admission Seekers Beware!
- Can I Change from Art to Science/Commercial and Vice Versa?
- Universities/Polytechnics Accepting Two Sittings For Admissions
- Commerce for OAU Admissions: What is the Real Truth?