Let’s talk about admission offered by a school but not through CAPS. Is it advisable to accept such an offer?
Before the answer, let me open your mind to what’s happening in admission processes in Nigeria now.
JAMB and Schools Work Together on CAPS
- JAMB put CAPS up for all schools – universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, innovative enterprise institutions.
- CAPS is opened to all federal, state, and private-owned institutions in Nigeria.
- Schools of nursing are not included in CAPS. Many colleges of health technology have joined CAPS. Except for a few certificate and diploma courses, colleges of health running National Diploma (ND) must be on CAPS e.g Oyo State College of Health Technology, Ibadan.
- Through CAPS, institutions will upload the lists of candidates they intend to offer spaces. There, candidates will accept such offers. Then able to print JAMB admission letters.
In summary, institutions use the platform called JAMB CAPS to offer candidates admissions while JAMB and applicants are monitoring the process openly through the same platform.
What If Offered Admission Outside CAPS?
Similarly, the matriculation board has insisted candidates should not accept admission not offered on JAMB CAPS. Any admission outside the JAMB portal is considered illegal.
|A candidate asked if he could accept admission not on CAPS|
However, there are exceptions to that. You can accept any of the following admissions outside the JAMB CAPS
- Schools or colleges of nursing admission
- College of health admissions if not National Diploma
- Admissions into the college of aviation and marine schools (so far it’s just a diploma and certificate course)
- Predegree, Remedial, Pre-ND, Pre-NCE admissions require not JAMB CAPS. However, candidates will need JAMB and CAPS on admission into 100 levels.
- JUPEB, IJMB, Cambridge and NABTEB Advance Admissions require not JAMB CAPS. Though they will need JAMB Direct for 200 level admissions which will require CAPS too.
- Part-time, Sandwich, and Distance Learning programs are independent of CAPS. However, admitted candidates for these programmes are required to register with JAMB too.
Other than the instances above, candidates should not accept admissions from any institution, not through CAPS. In other words, the following programmes should be through CAPS:
- Degree (BSC) programmes (full-time)
- National Diploma (ND) full time
- National Certificate of Education (NCE) full time
Received an SMS from a School for Admission
These are strange institutions – as candidates didn’t choose them in JAMB or might not have attended/attempted their screening or post UTME.
Can you accept such admission?
With this access, those schools can offer you admission without you obtaining their screening forms or attend any post UTME.
Nothing is bad with this type of admission offers.
First, commit to mind, that, once the programme offered is one of the three detailed above, the school will instruct you to change to them on the JAMB portal before they can process and complete your admissions.
For example, polytechnics such as Lens Polytechnic Offa, Gateway Polytechnic Saapade, Ekocity Polytechnic Lagos, etc send text messages to invite you to change to them on JAMB and be offered admission immediately. Others include Assanusiyyah College of Education Ode-Omu, Grace Polytechnic Lagos, Iwo City Polytechnic, Iwo to mention but a few.
If these schools offer you admission after requesting you to change to them on the JAMB portal, then you accept the offer through CAPS, the admission is okay. Anything other than this renders your admission invalid according to JAMB.