- Which polytechnic run Medicine and Nursing?
- Where can I study Pharmacy or Microbiology among Nigerian Polytechnics?
- Is Law a course in the polytechnics?
- And many more related questions.
Read: Commercial Courses Science Students Can Go for in Polytechnics
Those who know the answer to these questions may find them funny. I felt the same. But then, I realized you couldn’t beat what you didn’t know, of course.
If you find yourself in this situation, this post will clear the air for you.
Let’s go …
First the Art Courses in the polytechnics.
Can You Study Law, Philosophy, Linguistics, English, etc in Polytechnics?
The answer is no.
Polytechnics don’t offer the art courses listed above and many others. They all belong to universities.
However, there are four well-known art courses you can, as well, find in the polytechnics. They are Mass Communication, Public Administration, Local Government Studies, and Library and Information Science/Management.
I detailed these courses, the polytechnics offering them, UTME, and SSCE subjects required to study them here. Take a quick look!
Now let’s see your fate as to Polytechnics offering medical courses.
Can You Study Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, etc in Polytechnics?
The answer is no.
Polytechnics are meant to training students for most engineering courses. That’s why Art students are lacking here. More so, if you must go for Medical related courses, you will have to look up to the universities.
However, a medical engineering/science course common at Polytechnics is called Science Laboratory Science (SLT). Literary all our poly-technics and mono-technics have that department. Another is Nutrition and Dietetics. A few polytechnics are offering that though.
- List of Polytechnics offering Nutrition and Dietetics
- List of Polytechnics offering Science Laboratory Technology
- List of Polytechnics Offering Pharmaceutical Technology/Engineering
Polytechnics Offer Microbiology, Biochemistry, Medical Laboratory Science at HND level Instead
Having said you wouldn’t have certain medical courses in polytechnics, you may want to ask; what of Microbiology, Biochemistry, Medical Laboratory Science, etc.?
The thing is that a majority of polytechnics offer HND in these courses but not at the ND level. In other words, you can’t study the likes of Microbiology, Biochemistry, MLS in a polytechnic gaining admission through UTME to ND1. You can go for SLT at ND level though. While proceeding to HND, your school might have Microbiology, Biochemistry, MLS which you will be asked to consider for HND instead of the SLT you did in OND.
However, you can study Microbiology, Biochemistry, Medical Laboratory Science, Medical Rehabilitation, Anatomy, Physiology, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, etc from your 100 level in the universities.
More Alternatives Medical/Health-Related Courses in Polytechnics/Colleges
Best Related Posts
- School of Nursing, Health Tech, and Hygiene: Answers to Students’ Questions on Admissions
- Universities Accepting WAEC, NECO, NABTEB, and GCE, How to Combine, How to Check, etc
- How Many Years Does It Take To Study Nursing In Universities?
- OND Vs NCE: Which One is Higher? Which One To Go For?
- Schools/Colleges of Nursing and JAMB Cut Off Marks: What You Must Know