FULBRIGHT FOREIGN STUDENT PROGRAM BACKGROUND.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program (formerly Fulbright JSD) is a non-degree program funded by the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C., and administered by the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York.
The program is designed primarily to:
- strengthen capacities of African universities through higher degree training and to develop the potential of their academic staff.
- target at young and exceptionally promising faculty members who wish to conduct their doctoral research in the United States.
- Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline at a Nigerian university or research institute at the time of application. Applicants from other countries should check for their countries here.
- However, preference will be given to those applicants in the areas of natural and social sciences, arts, and humanities.
- Applicants are advised to read the instructions preceding the application carefully and seek the assistance of senior colleagues who are Fulbright alumni before they commence to fill in the forms.
- ONLY online applications are accepted. Interested applicants can apply online at the following website: https://iie.embark.com/apply/foreignfulbright
Objectives of the Program
- To promote institutional linkages between U.S. and Nigerian universities and institutions.
- To expose Nigerian academics to the U.S. education system and standard research facilities for timely completion of their doctoral program.
- To promote teaching and research as well as manpower development for Nigeria’s higher institutions of learning.
- To expose grantees to leadership skills and voluntary service with a view to sensitizing them to imbibe these values when they return home.
Application Eligibility and Requirements
To be eligible for a grant:
- Applicants must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria, or permanent residents holding a valid passport issued by the government of Nigeria.
- Applicants must be doctoral students and have the endorsement of their home institution.
- Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline.
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and a high level of English proficiency.
- Applicants must meet a minimum score of 100 in the internet-based TOEFL test.
- Applicants must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home.
- Only applicants with strong proposals, outlining their research objectives, methodology, time frame, and justification for conducting the research in the U.S. will be short-listed for interviews.
- Applicants in business, law, and accounting should understand that most U.S. institutions rarely accept research students in these fields due to the high demand for full-time programs and tuition concerns. As a consequence, we face great challenges in finding placements for such grantees unless their proposals are tilted toward economics, development-related areas, democracy, human rights, and conflict resolution.
- The Fulbright program takes the issue of academic dishonesty (plagiarism) very seriously and will disqualify applications that violate academic integrity.
- Application and Instructions: The application and instructions can be found at https://iie.embark.com/apply/foreignfulbright
- All applicants must fill out the online application forms completely and attach their supporting documents online (3 academic and professional references, Curriculum Vitae, academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended, and writing sample.)
- Interested persons can get more information by sending an e-mail (with the subject: Fulbright Inquiry) to [email protected] or [email protected]
Duration of Application
Call for Applications: February 1
Deadline for submitting online application and all supplementary documents: June 1
- 10,000+ Scholarships for Nigerians and Other Countries in Germany
- International Ph.D. Fellowship Scholarships in 8 Hong Kong Universities
- Sterling Bank Plc Internship Program for Undergraduates and Second Degree Applicants
- Agbami Scholarships for 100 and 200 Undergraduates for All Nigerian States Opened
- Scholarship for Nigerians and International Students by Central Bank of Ireland