WHAT NEXT AFTER JAMB UTME? FROM RESULT TO ADMISSION STAGE
1. Mop Up Exams
Count yourself lucky if you didn’t face some technical issues during your UTME registration or at your exams centre. Some people would be victims of issues like poor or wrong registration, computer malfunctioning during exams, malpractices report about CBT centres etc.
These issues may not let some candidates write their exams. Some may write but not able to see their results and so on.
JAMB has provisions for the victims though. After results are all released, the body usually arranges for mop-up exams for those candidates. They’re then able to write their own exams and results will later be released.
2. JAMB Stakeholders Meeting and National Cut-off Mark Announcement
Every year, it’s the JAMB’s custom to announce the national cut-off mark which they recommend for schools to accept for the admission year.
JAMB doesn’t just pick a figure for schools, they invite all stakeholders including the ministry of education, representatives of private schools, government-owned schools etc. The meeting is called the stakeholders meeting.
At this sitting, they all agree on cut-off marks to be used by universities, polytechnics, colleges of education and innovative Enterprise Institutes (IEI).
From experience, JAMB only recommends cut-off marks for schools; they never force any school to accept it. Schools reserve the right to consider any mark deemed right for their admission exercises.
In most cases, schools accept exactly what JAMB recommends. But higher marks in the case of certain competitive schools like the University of Ibadan, University of Ilorin, University of Benin, University of Lagos, etc.
Recommended: How to Upgrade/Edit/Increase JAMB UTME Score/Mark
3. Sales of Post UTME or Admission Screening Forms by Schools
First note that some schools don’t wait for stakeholders’ meeting or announcement of the national cut-off mark before they proceed with their admission exercises for the year.
Generally, all private institutions fall to this category e.g Landmark University, Neil University of Nigeria, Afe Babalola University, Bowen University, Babcock University, etc. They start sales of their post UTME or admission screening form as soon as all JAMB results are released.
Some state schools may also start admission without waiting for the body e.g Kwara State University.
Immediately the body announces the cut-off mark, all schools will spring into actions. They decide their cut off marks or follow as JAMB recommends.
All aspirants are expected to visit their proposed schools’ portals and register for the admission screenings or post-UTMEs.
To know the difference between post UTME and Admission screening, read the post, “Post UTME: Will it be Exams or Admission Screening?”
It should be noted that the application for such exercise may involve payment. This is widely known.
4. JAMB Gives Admission through CAPs
To gain admission to your proposed school, you have to pass through the system called CAPs.
CAPs mean Central Admission Processing System. The system is devised by JAMB to oversee the admission processes of each school to ensure that schools comply with modalities to give admission to prospective aspirants without bias.
Let me save you all the details about this system.
In brief, this is how JAMB CAPs work.
- Schools give admissions to students or recommend them for admissions.
- They send such lists to JAMB for confirmation.
- The body uploads such lists online for students to check their admission progress/status through candidate’s profiles.
- Students accept admissions from his or her profile
- JAMB finally forwards the lists of students who had accepted admissions for the schools.
- Students are able to print their admission letters from their profiles – called JAMB Admission Letter
- The schools also give admission letters to the students before, on, or after resumption to the campus.
You should know where you’re going from the very beginning. Things are not done in a hurry – these are all it takes to be on campus.
One thing after the other and I assure you – there is no skip of any stage. Kindly be on the lookout as each stage unfolds.
People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.
Best Related Posts
- CAPS: System Through Which JAMB Will Give Admission to Aspirants
- Post UTME: Will it be Exams or Admission Screening?
- How Dumbest Students Gain Admission but You’re Still Struggling
- JAMB Change of Institutions and Courses: Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges You Can Consider
- 10 Things to Know About JAMB Change of Data, Institutions and Courses