10 Things to Know About JAMB Change of Institutions/Courses


Are you considering the change of institutions and/or courses before or after you have seen your JAMB UTME result or after? Are you bothered by some questions and need immediate answers? Then, you have to read through these 10 questions and answers about JAMB’s yearly change of data, institutions, and courses exercise.

Note that this list will continually be updated. Hence, you’re advised to revisit this page or bookmark it for future updates. You can as well subscribe to my regular unique posts. Also, feel free to ask new questions not covered here in the comment section. I’ll provide an answer to it as fast as we can.

1. What is the change of data, institutions, and courses?

This is an exercise opened by Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB) to allow candidates who had made some mistakes during UTME registration to make corrections.

You’re allowed to change courses or institutions earlier chosen. This, you can do as three (3) times, at most.  

Just as it is the norm to effect changes in your choices of institutions/courses before post UTME or admission, candidates can as well change institutions and courses if a school has already offered them courses different from the one chosen in UTME. In this case, the candidates will be instructed to effect a change of courses to the new courses before printing JAMB admission letters.

Other mistakes that can be corrected during this exercise include the name error (especially spelling mistakes), Gender (male/female), date of birth, state, and local government.

Recommended posts:

    2. Is it compulsory to do a change of institutions and courses?


    Unless you deem it needed for your admission, you don’t have to do any change of data, institutions, and courses.

    Where you think if you don’t change, it may affect your admission, consider doing it.

    For instance, if you score less mark than your school/course of choice will consider, it’s advisable you change to a school/course that accepts the score you have. See Universities/Polytechnics You Can Change To With Lower Marks.

    READ MORE  Do I Need JAMB Registration Number for DE Registration?

    A similar instance is if your proposed institution takes catchment areas seriously in her admission selection e.g Ilorin, ABU, etc. You may want to consider changing your local government to the one favored by them. Don’t choose a local government you’re not sure you can get her state of origin certificate or local government identification letter.

    There may be the need to do a change of date of birth if you think your current age may affect you in the future e.g for NYSC mobilization, employment purpose, and so on or truly there was an error in the dates of birth earlier used.

    3. Can I do a correction of name, if I (they) make spelling mistakes during UTME registration?


    JAMB allows you to do a change of name on her website through your JAMB profile.

    You will need to pay #2500 online for this service. This fee excludes the Remita and CBT centre service charge which may vary.

    In case of correction of name, you may be required to submit your UTME printout and birth certificate to the JAMB branch office before it can be effected. This correction is, for now, allowed only at JAMB offices and CBT centres. However, you may need to book an appointment with JAMB before being attended to. See How to Book Appointment with JAMB and For What

    If however, you noticed the error in your names before going for the JAMB registration at CBT centre, send CORRECT (space) FULL NAMES to 55019. Use the same mobile line used to get your profile code. It will be corrected and the system will send you a response. You can then proceed to the registration centre.

    See also: JAMB Change of Institutions and Courses: Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education to Change to.

    4. How do I change institutions and courses? Do I need to go back to JAMB CBT centre?

    First, you don’t need to go to a CBT center for any changes. You can do it at a nearby internet café  (because some cafes are not unofficially connected with CBT centres to help you do it) or on your personal computer. The only case that can take you back to CBT center is if an option is not made available in your JAMB profile. Cases like a change of name, date of birth, or JAMB subject combination may take you back to CBT centre or better, the JAMB office.

    READ MORE  Direct Entry (DE) Requirements for Animal and Environmental Biology

    Meanwhile, you can access your profile yourself or at a cafe. But if the closest place is CBT center, they will equally attend to you. You also make payment before proceeding to CBT centre or JAMB office.

    To make the changes:

    1. Log into your JAMB profile with the JAMB profile email and its password.
    2. Locate the current year (or the year you want to effect) change of data link
    3. Choose that and follow the next instructions to make the payment and effect the changes.

    You will pay #2500 using your ATM card through the Remita platform. So, get ready with your card – PARTICULARLY MasterCard.

    See also: Issues with JAMB Form, Change of Institution, Admission Letter or Result Payments and So on.

    5. How many times I am allowed to effect Changes?

    In the past, you’re allowed only TWICE or more times. As for the 2020/2021 admission year, you can change ONLY THRICE. Otherwise, you will have to follow the guide in the post, “How to Change Institutions/Courses the Third Time or More. See Guide!” to make the fourth or more changes.

    If it’s the change of name, date of birth, gender, local government, or state; you’re ONLY allowed ONCE.

    6. How many institutions and courses can I be able to change?

    You can alter all institutions and all courses.

    You have four institutions and four courses. All of them can be altered to the new ones at the same price of N2,500. You don’t need to make a separate payment for each change.

    READ MORE  Another School Gives Admission on JAMB CAPS: What to Do!

    7. Do I have to pay separate money for the change of institution and another for the change of courses?


    The #2,500 you pay will be used to alter any (or all) institutions together with any (all) courses.

    In other words, you don’t have to pay separately for each change. One payment effect all. If JAMB late allows changes more than once, you will need a new payment for each time you decide to change. See more details here.

    If however, you want to change names, date of birth, state, etc, a separate payment for each. Read: Change of Institutions/Courses Payment: Is the Money for All or Separate Charge Needed?

    8. Do I have to print anything after completing the Change of Institutions/Courses registration?


    You may have a confirmation page to print. This page will display your previous choices above, and new choices below.

    9. Do I need this print-out for Admission?


    You don’t need it. Unless they ask for it, never should you give or submit it to any school.

    Instead, reprint your JAMB result (the original one) to display your new choices.

    10. Will the new schools know that I didn’t choose them initially during UTME/Screening?


    JAMB will not send a list of students that chose a school to her until the change of institutions is closed.

    However, if you do your change of institutions late, the school may know, especially if JAMB is sending lists of students to them in batches.

    That’s why it is advisable to do your changes on time. However, that is not going to affect the decision of your school on your admission. Don’t panic.